Sitting service

The sitting service is available to any carer and can help them have a short break with peace of mind.

It can provide companionship, support and personal care that the carer would normally provide, while they have a break. The service provides trained staff who can support the person you care for in their home or take them out.

You can find more information on the Sitting Service page of the Council website.

You can also find information that may help you on the Council’s Carers in Somerset webpage and on:

Short breaks/Respite for carers

What is a short break?

Short breaks give carers, and the people they care for, the opportunity to have a break and to ‘recharge their batteries’. These breaks used to be known as ‘respite care’.

A short break allows the carer to take a break while the person they care for is still looked after. There are a number of ways for this to happen. This could be an increased package of home care support which may include temporary night care, or a short break in a care home.

Arranging a short break

Short-term breaks can be arranged after you or your carer have been assessed. This service is usually used to support carers in their caring role.

Types of short breaks

A short break at home allows the cared for person to stay at home while your carer takes a break. An increased package of home care support, which may include night care, or a short break in a care home, can be arranged.

Other types of short breaks

Short breaks can also be arranged for people whose assessment shows that:

  • It may be a way of managing a temporary crisis or temporary deterioration in their health.
  • It will help them regain skills lost because of a lack of confidence, loss of motivation or depression.
  • They will benefit from a holiday break and need a similar level of personal care in their holiday location.

Booking a short break

All short breaks are booked in advance and have a fixed end date. If, for any reason, you need to extend this break, a reassessment is carried out and a new support plan subsequently agreed. Your first break will be arranged by your social care worker. They will explain to you how to arrange further breaks.

Short breaks can be can arranged for you or you can have a Direct Payment so you can pay for and arrange your own break. If you wish to arrange your own break, Enham can give you advice.

Payment for short breaks

You can ask the Council for an assessment. If you are eligible they may be able to help you pay for a break and help arrange short-term breaks for you or the person you care for.

People with less than our capital threshold pay a flat rate charge, apart from the following free services:

  • Help in crisis
  • Day care – There is no charge for day care but people have to pay for transport and meals.