There is equipment to help people with a sensory loss with everyday activities in their own home.

For example, there is equipment that can help with:

  • Cooking and food preparation
  • Pouring drinks
  • Dealing with tablets and medication
  • Labelling and identifying tins
  • Sorting out money
  • Using the phone
  • Using computers
  • Lighting
  • Hand-writing
  • Reading
  • Telling the time
  • Identifying colours
  • Mobility and getting around

Some equipment is available through Adult Social Care, following an assessment by a specialist social care worker. The equipment is available on loan and should be returned when it’s no longer required.

To get a hearing aid, digital hearing aid or cochlear implant, go to your doctor. They will refer you to an ear, nose and throat consultant.

You can search our Community Directory and can find links to more information that you might find useful below.