Sometimes your circumstances can change and you might find it harder to do the routine things you used to be able to do, for example getting into or out of your home, or moving around indoors.

Often, with some simple adaptations, you can continue to do these things.

Minor adaptations: These include ramps, rails, and other small works.

If you are eligible, minor adaptations can be arranged for you free of charge, following an assessment by a Social Care occupational therapist (OT).

Major adaptations: These could include a stair lift, widening doorways, and adapting bathrooms.

The work may be funded through a Disabled Facilities Grant (DFG) administered by your District Council, following an assessment and recommendation from a Social Care occupational therapist (OT).

Applicants for a DFG can be home owners, private or council tenants, or people who live in park homes and houseboats. The Council will need to check that your proposed scheme is necessary, and appropriate to meet the needs identified by Social Care occupational therapists.

It must also be reasonable and practical, depending on the age and layout of your property. The amount of the grant you receive will be decided by a means test. It will depend on your income and capital, and you may be asked to contribute towards the cost of the work.

It is important that you do not start any work before you have received grant approval from your District Council – you will not normally be entitled to any help for work already undertaken.

For more information contact your District Council and ask for an application form and a copy of the leaflet Disabled Facilities Grant.

Are you eligible?

To find out if you are eligible, please phone Somerset Customer Contact on 0300 123 2224. Depending on your circumstances, the person you talk with may be able to give you advice straight away or they may ask an occupational therapist to talk with you.

They will discuss what choices are available and agree the best course of action for you. This may be giving you information or advice, or arranging to visit you to assess what you need. Everyone’s situation is different and the Council carefully considers each request for support. They use eligibility criteria that have been agreed with all District Councils in Somerset.

Phone numbers for the District Councils

Mendip District Council 01749 648999
Sedgemoor District Council 0845 408 2540
South Somerset District Council 01935 462462
Somerset West and Taunton 0330 304 8000

You can find more information on these web pages:

Care and Support Assessment
Equipment to help you
Information sheet B5 – Adapting your home

This is a British Sign Language video about Disabled Facilities Grants