Claiming benefits

If you are on a low income, have an illness or disability, or are a carer, you may be entitled to claim for extra money from the Department for Work and Pensions to help you with your living costs.

Attendance Allowance

You could get benefit to help with personal care because you’re physically or mentally disabled, and you’re aged 65 or over.

This is called Attendance Allowance. It’s paid at two different rates, and how much you get depends on the level of care you need because of your disability.

The other benefits you get can increase if you get Attendance Allowance.

You can find out more about Attendance Allowance on the GOV.UK website.

Constant Attendance Allowance

You can claim Constant Attendance Allowance if you get Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or a War Disablement Pension and you need daily care and attention because of a disability.

There are four different weekly rates of Constant Attendance Allowance. How much you get depends on the extent of your disability and the amount of care you need.

You can find out more about Constant Attendance Allowance on the GOV.UK website.

Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

New claims

You can only make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if you’re claiming for a child under 16. This is known as DLA for children. You may be able to reclaim DLA.

Anyone over 16 must apply for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead of DLA.

Existing claims

PIP has replaced DLA for people aged 16 to 64, even for people with an indefinite or lifetime DLA award.

You can continue to get DLA if you were born on or before 8 April 1948 and you’re eligible. If you were born after that, use the PIP checker on GOV.UK to find out if and when you’re affected by PIP.

You can find more information about DLA eligibility and how to claim on the GOV.UK website.

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

If you’re ill or disabled, Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) offers you:

financial support if you’re unable to work
personalised help, so that you can work if you’re able to
You can apply for ESA if you’re employed, self-employed or unemployed.

You might be transferred to ESA if you have been claiming other benefits like Income Support or Incapacity Benefit.

You can find more information about eligibility and how to claim on the GOV.UK website.

Income Support

You may be able to get Income Support if you meet all the specific conditions including:

  • you and your partner have no income or a low income
  • you’re working less than 16 hours a week
  • you haven’t signed on as unemployed

The actual amount you get depends on your circumstances.

You can claim Child Tax Credit if you claim Income Support and have children.

You can find more information about Income Support on the GOV.UK website.

Jobseekers Allowance

You can apply for Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) to help you while you look for work.

How much you get depends on your circumstances.

To get JSA you usually have to:

  • be 18 or over (but below State Pension age)
  • be available for work
  • meet the other rules for eligibility

When you apply for JSA you must go to an interview to complete your claim.

You can find more information about JSA on the GOV.UK website.

There is also information about Jobseeker’s Allowance on the NHS website.

Pension Credit

Pension Credit is an income-related benefit made up of two parts – Guarantee Credit and Savings Credit.

Guarantee Credit tops up your weekly income if it’s below £159.35 (for single people) or £243.25 (for couples).

Savings Credit is an extra payment for people who saved some money towards their retirement, for example, a pension.

You can find more information on Pension Credit on the GOV.UK website.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability, if you’re aged 16 to 64.

The rate you get depends on how your condition affects you, not the condition itself.

You’ll need an assessment to work out the level of help you get. Your rate will be regularly reassessed to make sure you’re getting the right support.

You can find more information about PIP and how to claim on the GOV.UK website.