Contact Somerset Direct – For all general enquiries regarding health and social care on 0300 123 2224

Text: 07862 12246

Find information about paying for your care and support here

If you live in Somerset, are at least 18 years old and have a care need that significantly affects your wellbeing, for example, with your personal care, staying independent, keeping safe, staying physically and mentally well, or maintaining relationships that are important to you, the Council may be able to help you pay for your care and support.

They may also support you if you are providing necessary care for someone else and are not being paid to do so. Please see their carers information.

The Council can’t financially help everyone who asks because they are only able to support people who meet the National Eligibility Criteria. If you meet the criteria they will still check to see if there is another person or organisation who could reasonably be expected to help you.

National Eligibility Criteria

The criteria are based on identifying how your needs affect your wellbeing. If you meet all the following criteria, you are eligible:

  1. Your care needs are due to a physical impairment or mental impairment or illness
  2. As a result of your care needs you are unable to achieve two or more of the things in the list below
  • Managing and maintaining your nutrition
  • Maintaining your personal hygiene
  • Managing your toilet needs
  • Being appropriately clothed
  • Being able to make use of your home safely
  • Maintaining a habitable environment
  • Developing and maintaining family or other personal relationships
  • Accessing and engaging in work, training, education or volunteering
  • Making use of necessary facilities or services in the local community, including public transport and recreational facilities or services
  • Carrying out any caring responsibilities an adult has for a child

As a result of not being able to achieve these things, it has a significant impact on your wellbeing.


Wellbeing is a broad concept, and relates to a person’s:

  • personal dignity (including being treated with respect)
  • physical and mental health, and emotional wellbeing
  • protection from abuse and neglect
  • control over day-to-day life (including how care and support is provided)
  • participation in work, education, training or recreation
    social and economic wellbeing
  • domestic, family and personal life
  • suitability of living accommodation
  • contribution to society

Financial eligibility

If you are eligible following a care and support assessment, Social Care then need to complete a financial assessment. If you have more than £23,250 in savings, you are not eligible. You will usually be asked to make your own care arrangements and pay the full cost of your care. You can do this using the products and services search part of this website. You can ask Social Care to make arrangements for you if your needs are eligible. But they will normally charge an arrangement fee for this.

If you have less than £23,250 in savings you may be eligible, but you may have to pay a contribution towards your care costs.

Please see the information sheet C6: How your personal budget contribution is worked out

Independent financial advice

Although we have lots of information available to help you, we always recommend that you talk with someone completely independent about money matters. Please see the Independent financial advice page on the Council website for more information.

You can also find more information by using the links below.